Conditioning Drills - Shoulder Wrestle
An excellent all around conditioner especially for stomach and back muscles.
Variation: Place one hand on each other's head, using other arm for added support in the water.
- Pair off swimmers in deep water at random.
- Have partners place hands on each other's shoulders, keeping elbows straight.
- When set, one partner says "ready"; when mate answers ready, they both attempt to submerge each other.
- As soon as one partner is ducked, the match is over.
- Continue for best 2 out of 3 matches.
- Drill may be run as an elimination contest pairing off winners.and losers.
To develop vital capacity as well as learn to take breath quickly.
- Pair off players in deep water facing each other holding hands with a finger grasp.
- One partner submerges until he reaches a straight arm position (at approximately partner's knees).
- Submerged partner then pulls his mate under, at the same time surfacing for a breath.
- Speed up tempo to making breathing difficult.
- Repeat 10-25 times.